Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Beyond the League: Alison Peeler

Welcome to “Beyond the League.” In this series, we will meet Active and Sustaining members of The Junior League of Midland, Inc. We will learn how they are making contributions to the community, their workplace, and beyond – celebrating how the skills they gained in the League make an impact beyond the League.

Today, we visit Alison Peeler, Sustaining Member of The Junior League of Midland, Inc. and President of the Board for the I-20 Wildlife Preserve & Jenna Welch Nature Study Center.

Tell us about the organization where you lead or serve.

I am serving my third year on the board of the I-20 Wildlife Preserve & Jenna Welch NatureStudy Center and my second year as board president. Our organization's mission is: To ensure conservation, restoration, education, research and outdoor enjoyment of Midland's urban playa for present and future generations.

What's your role?

As board president I have been working to build upon the founding organizational structure of this new non-profit established in 2008 with the preserve opening to the public in 2013.  I am following in the footsteps of our visionary founder and JLM Sustainer Elaine Magruder. WOW - what an opportunity it has been to learn from Elaine!

How has your JLM experience helped you lead and serve this organization?

Membership in the JLM has prepared me to serve my community in so many ways - from organizing committee notebooks and running committees to organizational leadership!  The friendships I have made are lifelong and continue to inspire me in my community work.

How can others get involved? 

The I-20 Wildlife Preserve & Jenna Welch Nature Study can always use volunteers! Our school programs need docents and our committees (events, marketing, development, finance, land management) need members. We love to host groups for tours and we love to have groups come out to help pick up trash.  We can find a place for you.

What else would you like to share? 

The I-20 Wildlife Preserve & Jenna Welch Nature Study is truly a Midland treasure!!  If you have not been out to visit the preserve - grab your friends and GO! Go to our website and follow us on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment