Thursday, January 21, 2016

Beyond the League: Luanne Thorton


Welcome to “Beyond the League.” In this series, we will meet Active and Sustaining members of The Junior League of Midland, Inc. We will learn how they are making contributions to the community, their workplace, and beyond – celebrating how the skills they gained in the League make an impact beyond the League.
Today, we visit Luanne Thornton, Sustaining Member and Past President of The Junior League of Midland, Inc.

Tell us about the organization where you lead or serve.

At the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum (www.petroleummuseum.org) our mission is to share the petroleum and energy story and its impact on our lives. The Museum tells the cultural and technological story of the Permian Basin.

What's your role?

I am the Director of Development and have been with the Museum for 10 years. I help donors make this a great community to live, explore and play.  I am the fundraiser - writing grants, making requests for contributions, planning events, engaging with patrons of the Museum and then whatever else needs to be done. Every day is different and always fun.  Even the bad days are great because I know we are making a difference in the community.

How has your JLM experience helped you lead and serve this organization?


JLM is the reason I got this job! Kathy Shannon, current Executive Director of the Museum, and I were on the Provisional Committee together. (She was Chairman and I was a Trainer.) Due to the knowledge of training we received from the Junior League, she could trust that I would get the Museum job done. They knew I could handle any task that was thrown my way.

How can others get involved? 

There are many volunteer opportunities! Working with kids, adults or quietly in the background. Just give us a call and we will hook you up!

What else would you like to share? 

The Junior League of Midland, Inc. taught me so many things that I never would have learned in school or in the business world. It teaches servant leadership. We all have to be willing to jump in and do any task set before us whether it is really out of our comfort zone or the most menial task. I am eternally grateful for my time in JLM.








No comments:

Post a Comment