Monday, April 13, 2015

The Benefits of Junior League of Midland Membership

This is the time of year when the Junior League of Midland recruits for the next Provisional (new member) class. Our Provisional program currently runs September through April of each League year. The incoming Provisional Training Chairman, Tonya Hancock, will write an article about how to become a new member and the requirements of membership, but I’d like to write about the benefits I have gained from my membership.

Nine years ago when I attended the 2006-2007 Provisional Informational Course, I didn’t realize the impact the League would have on my life. In March of 2006 I was a stay at home mom to two small children, aged 2 1/2 and 6 months.  I was looking for a “grown-up” activity to get me out of the house, connect me to the community and I was hopeful to make some new friends since I was new to Midland. I met women like myself who were stay at home moms of young children, professional working mothers, single women starting their careers and one or two women who had recently retired and were looking for a way to give back to the community. I found that I had much in common with every group represented and learned a great deal from them.

During my Provisional year, I bonded with several other women in the course.. I found that I could change lives of women and children in our community, as well as my own.

 My time as an Active member has been a joy. I’m not sure how many lives I’ve touched, but if even one person had their life enhanced by my voluntarism I have done my job. I’ve made life-long friendships, challenged myself and learned to be a leader. If you are interested in membership in the Junior League of Midland,  I encourage you to contact our Admissions Chairman at midlandprovisionals@gmail.com and come to our informational meeting on March 24 at JLM Headquarters. It just might change your life!

 

-Michelle Dinger

President, 2014-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment